Tuesday, March 18, 2008
On the Road:
* Be alert when driving. Look for vehicles following you, especially if there are 3 or more people in the car. If you believe you are being followed, call your dispatcher or 911 immediately.
* When leaving your facility, be aware of any possible surveillance of your facility or your truck.
* Don't discuss your cargo, destination, or trip specifics with people you don't know or on open channels.
* When stopped at a traffic light or in traffic, be aware of anyone approaching your vehicle.
* Make sure you have communication devices to contact your dispatcher and emergency officials. Carry a back-up if possible.
Stopping at Facilities:
* Leave your truck in a secure parking lot or truck stop if possible; if not, be certain someone can watch your vehicle.
* Never leave your vehicle running with the keys in it; shut off the engine and lock the doors.
* If possible, don't stop in unsafe or high-crime areas.
* Use seals or other methods to prevent and identify tampering.
* Don't preload hazardous materials shipments without adequate security.
Protecting Your Vehicle:
* Use an engine kill switch
* Use tractor and trailer brake locking devices
* Check your electronic tracking system regularly and notify your dispatcher when it's not working or tampering may have occurred.
* If you drop a trailer, use a fifth wheel lock whenever possible.
* Perform a quick walk-around to check your vehicle for foreign objects after all stops.